At Eldorado Animal Hospital it is our policy to take every possible step to ensure that our patients receive the very best pharmaceutical products available.
This is especially important with life-threatening illnesses such as heartworm disease. Counterfeit drugs are finding their way into the hands of trusting consumers on both the human and veterinary sides. Our products come with a pedigree direct from the manufacturer ensuring authenticity. We keep inventory as a convenience to our clients and price it competitively. Profits from these items allow us to maintain inventory, update equipment, and uphold adequate staff. We know that several discount houses presently sell these products cheaper than we are able to. We do, however, wish for your decision to be an informed one, and want you to know several things regarding these prescription sales:
- All major manufacturers maintain a strict policy of sales exclusively through licensed veterinarians. All discount house sales are through non-approved channels.
- Most manufacturers’ guarantees regarding their products are null and void if their products are purchased through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee reimbursement programs for Novartis and Merial products. (Interceptor/Sentinel/Heartgard/Frontline/etc).
- Improper storage of drugs (i.e.: excessive heat) affects their performance and puts pets at risk. Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (namely Australia) have been illegally diverted and sold through these discount houses in the United States.
- Discount houses have been cited by the FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy for violating prescribing procedures. PetMedExpress (a.k.a. SaveMax), in particular, was recently fined over $100,000 by the FDA and Florida Department of Health. PetMeds was also sued by the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the Texas Pharmacy Board for $50,000 and placed on a 3-year probationary period.
- Purchases made through our Hospital allow you immediate access to our professional staff to answer any questions.
If you prefer to purchase your products at discount houses, we will write prescriptions for these products according to the following guidelines:
- We will not become involved in any product failure from purchases through these discount houses. This includes, but is not limited to: flea, heartworm, and intestinal parasite prevention. All state and federal prescribing laws apply the same as if you purchase it here.
- Prescriptions are written only if there is an existing doctor/patient relationship.
- You must pick up your prescription in person (we are unable to mail or fax prescriptions). If this prescription is lost or filled improperly by the discount house, additional copies will be provided to you at a bookkeeping fee of ten dollars. (Only applies to those products prescribed on an annual basis, namely heartworm/flea prevention medication.)
- To avoid any potential doctor/patient confidentiality issues and because we cannot vouch for the authenticity of the drug, we will not communicate with the discount house in any form or fashion. It is your responsibility to ensure that the prescription is pedigreed, labeled, and used in a timely and correct manner.